Save some cash by treating your brittle nails with effective home remedies. Brittle nails can be a pain and ugly to look at. They break easily and make manicures look bad. The great thing about home remedies for brittle nails is that they are easy to do, affordable and their results tend to last longer than commercially bought alternatives. But before starting on the remedies here are some ways to take care of hands and nails.
Before washing dishes or washing the car, cleaning the bathroom or doing some gardening, protect hands and nails by wearing protective gloves.
After chores moisturize skin and nails by applying lotion. The lotion will keep hands and nails from being dehydrated and will lock in moisture.
Chemicals like acetone can dry cuticles. So moisturize after your manicure or pedicure.
- Hot water can soften nails and make them brittle. Avoid too much hot water exposure on hands.
- If you wear nail polish remove them thoroughly. Let your nails breathe.
- Trim your nails short. If you bite them, stop.
- Indulge in a healthy diet. Eat lots of protein for stronger nails.
- If your nails are still brittle, here are some home remedies that will help.
- Mix a teaspoon of olive oil with a few drops of lemon juice. Massage to nails at least twice a week. This potent home remedy brittle nails into beautiful nails in a short time.
- For stronger and healthier nails mix a teaspoon of tea tree oil with a couple of drops of Vitamin E. This combination will make nails stronger and inhibit fungus growth.
- Pamper your nails with a massage. Apply a small amount of moisturizing cream, vegetable oil or hand lotion to each nail and massage thoroughly. The lotion will soften cuticles and the massage will increase blood flow to the nail bed to make nails strong and healthy.
- Transform brittle nails with a sea salt soak. Mix 2 teaspoons of sea salt with 2 drops each of lemon juice or oil, frankincense oil, myrrh oil and wheat germ oil in warm water. Soak hands for 15 minutes. Do this twice a week.
- Vitamin E is an important hair and skin DIY ingredient. A few drops of Vitamin E from a capsule can do wonders for your brittle nails. Massage couple of drops into each nail to improve condition of nails. Do a couple of times each week.
- Beer as nail care home remedy? Apparently equal parts of beer, apple cider vinegar and olive oil can help brittle nails. Combine ingredients in a bowl and soak nails for 15 minutes.
- Harsh nail polish removers, nail polish, cuticle removers and other chemicals can make the nail and cuticles go dry. Remedy this problem with lemon juice. Soak some freshly squeezed lemon juice on a cotton pad and massage to nails. Let dry before rinsing in lukewarm water.
- Drink a cup of horsetail or nettle tree tea once a day. These teas are rich in silica and other minerals to help nails grow strong.
We hope this list was helpful and your nails remain beautiful as ever!